What is wp.io?
wp.io is a resource to help people get the most from developing and running WordPress sites. It’s a service that scans WordPress sites to summarise and present information like themes, WordPress version, code validity, SEO basics and page speed performance in one quick and easy step. By scanning lots of WordPress sites, wp.io can also provide unique, real-world information about the WordPress software ecosystem, like stats on which are the most popular themes, or which versions of WordPress sites are using.
In summary, wp.io is:
- a tool for analysing and reporting about WordPress sites quickly and easily
- a resource for exploring the WordPress ecosystem
- a benchmark for comparing WordPress sites against fixed, objective criteria like page speed performance and code validity
- a unique way to explore free and paid WordPress themes, by looking at real sites already using a theme
How does it work?
- Simple! Just submit the URL of a WordPress site and wp.io will generate a report in real time to tell you all it can find out about that site.
- wp.io stores that report so you can later revisit it at any time or send them on to clients or colleagues who might find it helpful.
Here and now
wp.io is currently in beta testing. We’ve got big plans for the site and hope it’ll be welcomed as a valuable resource for WordPress users and developers. At this point, we’d really appreciate you submitting as many WordPress.org-based sites as possible and to hear your feedback on both the results and the site generally! What can we build or change to make it useful/more useful to you?
In the future
Well, we’ve got a whole load of ideas for what might make wp.io more useful to more people, but we’d prefer to hear from you about what you’d find useful, so do let us know!